Drug Awareness Council- Municipal Alliance
(check Twp. Calendar for current Zoom mtg. instructions)
- 7:30 p.m.
- 2nd Wednesday of each month
- Municipal Building
- Lauren Connelly, Corresponding Secretary (12/31/2023)
- Joseph Daughtry, Chairperson (12/31/2023)
- Marcella Gencarelli (12/31/2024)
- Michael D. Johnson, Recording Secretary (12/31/2022)
- Jaclyn D'Amico (12/31/2023)
- Jeff Matias (12/31/2024)
- Nancy Mertz, Social Services Liaison
- John Michaud (12/31/2023)
- Caroline Moat (12/31/2022)
- Nancy D'Oench (12/31/2024)
- Officer Dominick Danzi, Police Liaison
- Joseph D. Salamone (12/31/2022)
- Keri Spitz, Vice-Chairperson (12/31/2024)
- Vincent Zaccaria (12/31/2023)
- Nolan Ehntholt (12/31/2023)
- Lawrence Pascual (12/31/2022)
- Michael Palma, Board of Ed Liaison
Township Committee Liaison
- June Witty, Township Committee Liaison
- Matthew Kayne, Alternate Township Committee Liaison
About the Council
The Drug Awareness - Municipal Alliance Council works very closely with the Montville Township Committee, Board of Education, Police Department, school administration and staff, parent groups and many other civic organizations in town in an effort to prevent substance abuse and to provide information to all residents regarding alcohol, tobacco and other drugs. DAC activities and programs are supported by the Township of Montville, private contributions and donations and the Municipal Alliance grants. Some of the programs sponsored or supported by the Drug Awareness Council are:
Responsible Educated Adolescents Can Help (REACH)
Sponsored by the DAC and endorsed by the Board of Education, high school students are trained regarding the health hazards of drug and alcohol use. These students are certified as peer leaders and role models for elementary and middle school students. The REACH students go into the classrooms and facilitate small group discussions regarding decision-making, self-esteem, peer pressure, drugs, alcohol, and refusal skills.
DAC was a cofounder of this drug and alcohol free, all night graduation party. The DAC works closely with the Project Graduation Committee and the parent council on this activity.
Sponsored by the DAC and endorsed by the Board of Education, this is a drug and alcohol free party held at the high school to celebrate the 8th grade promotion.
Student Assistance Counselor
The DAC encouraged the Township Committee and Board of Education to employ a certified counselor in the high school and middle school.
Assembly Programs, Family Nights, Workshops
The DAC sponsors programs for assemblies, family nights and workshops which feature speakers, concerts, lectures, athletes, reformed drug and alcohol abusers, slide presentations, etc.
Drug Free School Zone
The DAC purchased the signs for this state mandated program for placement throughout Montville Township.
Red Ribbon Week (October 23rd to October 31st)
DAC sponsors Red Ribbon Week Programming in Montville Township and distributes red ribbons to all students, school staff, Montville Township employees and Township residents. The message is one of working towards a drug free community.
The Drug Awareness Council sponsors in-service programs for school staff, purchases materials and kits for school health programs, maintains a film library for drug and alcohol education and participates in the Montville Township Health Fair. All township residents and businesses interested in working with the Council, or with suggestions, are encouraged to contact the DAC.